How to Remove Stickers From Cars
February 15, 2023 |Guides/Tutorials
Like any belonging, a car can be a crucial insight into your personality. That’s why personalization is so popular and trendy bumper stickers, decals or even figurines are commonly found on passenger vehicles everywhere.
When you’re looking to change cars or give yourself a fresh start however, you might find yourself wondering what the best way to remove stickers without damaging your car is. Well, don’t worry - we’ve got you covered.
Here are some of our top tips and suggestions on how to remove stickers from cars.
How to Remove Stickers From Cars With Soapy Water
This classic removal technique uses everything that’s readily available to you. As an added bonus, you might find yourself giving your car a much needed wash as well!
- Step 1: Gently clean off the sticker and its residue with a soft sponge or soft scrubber and warm, soapy water.
- Step 2: Repeatedly wash the sticker area with the soapy mixture and a damp cloth before wiping it down with clean water and a dry cloth.
- Step 3: Once dry, use car-safe wax to buffer the surface.
How to Remove Stickers From Cars With a Hair Dryer
Heat is a great tool to remove stickers from any surface. When it comes to your car, we recommend only using low-heat devices like a hair dryer since it’s unlikely to cause heat damage to your car body.
Hairdryers are quite effective at reheating sticker glue to make removal that much easier.
- Step 1: Set the hair dryer to low or medium heat.
- Step 2: Aim the hairdryer towards the sticker area and hold it there for up to 40 seconds.
- Step 3: Once the sticker has warmed up start peeling it off while aiming the hairdryer at the corner. Take care to not burn your fingers.
- Step 4: Continue peeling until you remove the whole sticker.
- Step 6: Use a damp cloth and wipe down the area.
- Step 7: Use car-safe wax to buffer the area.
How to Remove Stickers From Cars With Oil and a Plastic Peeler or Scraper
Sometimes, oil-based products do a better job of removing old stickers from your car. Pick a gentle oil-based solution and follow these easy steps:
- Step 1: Gently rub oil onto the sticker and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Step 2: Using a plastic scraper, gently scrape the corners of the sticker until you can grasp the edges and pull them slowly upwards.
- Step 3: If you run into resistance, lightly soak a cloth in oil and apply it to the sticker. Ensure the sticker is adequately covered so the oil seeps into the remaining edges of the sticker.
- Step 4: Gently remove the sticker.
- Step 5: Wipe off any excess adhesive and dry the spot.
- Step 6: Use wax to buffer the surface of the car’s exterior.
How to Remove Stickers From Cars With Warm White Vinegar
While vinegar is a great product to use, we recommend vinegar be used sparingly and wiped off immediately once you remove the sticker.
- Step 1: Place distilled white vinegar in a small glass bowl and pop it into the microwave.
- Step 2: Microwave the solution for about 20 seconds until it becomes warm.
- Step 3: Dampen a clean towel with the solution but do not soak.
- Step 4: Wipe the white vinegar solution onto the sticker area, and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Step 5: Remove the sticker using a dull plastic scraper.
- Step 6: Once you remove the sticker, use warm soapy water to wipe it off.
- Step 7: Thoroughly rinse the area and dry it.
- Step 8: Buff the area with car wax to make it shine.
Precautions When Trying to Remove Stickers From Cars
- Never use abrasive, metal, or hard tools and cleaning materials, as this will damage the paint.
- Never use paint-thinning or acetone-based products, as this can wear down the paint on your car.
- Always thoroughly wash off and rinse any cleaning products or cleaning materials off your vehicle, as allowing harmful products to sit on the paint may damage it in the future.
- Always apply car wax after every method to ensure the area is clean, dry, and shiny.
We hope with these easy steps and tips on how to remove stickers from cars, you’ll get your vehicle cleaned up and ready for more awesome car stickers and branding decals to show off the things you love.
Want more great ideas and inspiration? Follow us on social, or sign up for our newsletter for amazing deals delivered directly to your inbox.
StickerYou blog posts are written and published by members of the StickerYou team at our headquarters, located in the beautiful city of Toronto, Canada.