Water bottles are common objects that you can personalize with stickers. Whether you want to attach stickers of your favorite bands, cute die-cuts of pets and cartoons, or any other sticker designs imaginable, you can customize your water bottle to reflect your personality and interests.
While it’s common to see water bottles covered in durable vinyl stickers, it’s important that you take extra steps to protect the stickers and ensure they last, especially since water bottles are washed frequently and exposed to moisture and rough handling.
Sealing your water bottle stickers is a crucial step to keep them vibrant and in place for years to come. In this article, we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide to seal stickers on metal water bottles and tumblers.
Materials & Tools Needed to Seal a Sticker Onto a Water BottleLet’s start by gathering the materials and tools we’ll need.
- Water bottle -This can be anything from tumblers and flasks that you want to personalize with stickers.
- Stickers - We recommend using dishwasher safe stickers, which are durable and long-lasting even when washed frequently.
- Clear adhesive sealant - You can purchase this at most craft stores. If you can’t find clear adhesive sealant, you can opt for sticker laminate sheets.
- Scissors - This is only required if you’re using sticker laminate sheets.
- Soft cloth - You’ll need this to clean the water bottle’s surface before installing your stickers.
How to Seal Stickers on Metal Water Bottle: Step by Step
Clean the Water Bottle Surface
Before anything else, you need to make sure your water bottle is clean and free from any dust, dirt, or residue that can interfere with adhesion. Use your soft cloth to wipe the bottle from top to bottom and side to side.
Select a Waterproof Sticker
For water bottle application, we recommend you use waterproof stickers that can hold up better despite frequent washing and liquid exposure. Paper stickers aren’t ideal for water bottles as they can easily fade and tear after a single wash.
Peel the Backing Off the Sticker
Once you’ve selected your stickers, create a plan for their placements and positions on the water bottle. When you’re ready to stick, peel the backing paper off of the sticker.
Place the Sticker
Now, carefully place the stickers in your desired positions. Make sure you stick them firmly and avoid folds or wrinkles. Use your fingers or a credit card to smoothen out any air bubbles.
Apply a Clear Sealant (Optional)
If you use waterproof stickers, you don’t necessarily have to take any extra steps to seal them. Waterproof stickers can hold up well to water exposure and last several years despite frequent washing. But if you would like to take the extra measure of protecting your water bottle stickers, you can apply a clear sealant or sticker laminate sheets.
Once placed onto the sticker, use a credit card to press out any air bubbles or wrinkles. Work from the center moving outward. Give the sealant some time to dry before using or washing your water bottle.
How to Seal Stickers on Metal Water Bottle: Summary
For your quick reference, here’s how to seal stickers on a metal water bottle at a glance:
- Water bottle
- Soft cloth
- Clean the water bottle’s surface, removing dirt, dust, and any residue.
- Waterproof stickers
- Credit card/ other blunt object
- Remove the backing paper.
- Place the stickers in your desired positions on the water bottle.
- Smoothen out air bubbles and wrinkles with a credit card or other blunt object.
- Clear adhesive sealant/ sticker laminate sheets
- Apply clear adhesive sealant over the sticker and press out any wrinkles or air bubbles.
- If you’re using clear laminate sheets, cut the sheet to a size slightly larger than the sticker you’re sealing.
- Peel the backing paper off the laminate sheets and apply the laminate over the sticker. Cut out any excess.
- Leave the sealant to dry and set before washing or using the water bottle.
And there you have it! Taking the extra step of sealing your water bottle stickers will increase their durability and longevity. No matter how many times you wash your water bottle or expose it to moisture and rough handling, sealing will ensure that your stickers will retain their quality, vibrancy, and aesthetic appeal for years to come!