How to Remove Stickers From a Laptop
February 15, 2023 |Guides/Tutorials
Adding stickers to your laptop is a great way to show off the things you like and possibly start some interesting conversations. Like all things however, change is sometimes necessary and removing those baked on stickers can seem like an impossible task.
Don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with some neat tips and tricks to make laptop sticker removal a breeze.
But first, we recommend that you check your laptop for warranty seals, serial numbers, and license keys. These stickers shouldn’t be removed or covered up. Also, check the type and model of your laptop first before choosing the method mentioned below. Every laptop is made with different metals and materials, which can impact the effectiveness of certain sticker-removal techniques.
How to Remove Stickers From a Laptop With Oil-Based Products
Olive oil, petroleum jelly, tea tree oil, mineral oil, and oil-based products are emulsifiers that can help lift your sticker and remove it easily without damaging the surface of your laptop.
It’s also a much safer option than using water since most oils are inert and won’t react with electronic circuitry. Choose your oil and follow these easy steps:
- Step 1: Dampen a cloth with a small amount of oil and apply it to the sticker area on the laptop.
- Step 2: Soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Step 3: Use a plastic razor scraper to gently scrape the label or sticker off.
- Step 4: Wipe the area with a clean cloth and dry accordingly.
How to Remove Stickers From a Laptop With Solvents
Some solvents are safe to use on laptops and can be very effective.
However, before using your solvent, read the labels and safety instructions. There are many solvent options, including Goo Gone, mineral spirits, WD-40, vinegar, rubbing alcohol, Windex, and acetone.
Our stickers are easy to remove but these solvents can help remove more stubborn stickers from other manufacturers quickly and safely.
- Step 1: Grab a cotton ball and dip it into the solvent of your choice.
- Step 2: Gently dab the solvent-soaked cotton ball onto the sticker’s edges.
- Step 3: Soak for a few minutes before using a plastic razor scraper to scrape off the sticker.
- Step 4: Use a clean piece of lint-free cloth and wipe the area once you’ve removed the sticker. Leave to dry.
How to Remove Stickers From a Laptop With Toothpaste
Toothpaste may seem like an unlikely solution, but it can be an effective way to remove stickers! Here’s how it’s done:
- Step 1: Spread a small amount of toothpaste on the sticker area.
- Step 2: Rub it in with a lint-free cloth and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
- Step 3: Use a damp cloth to wipe the toothpaste off, and then use a plastic razor scraper to do the rest.
- Step 4: Wipe the sticker-free area and dry it with a clean, lint-free cloth.
How to Remove Stickers From a MacBook
If you own a Macbook, we’d advise taking extra precautions.
Apple products are made with a variety of materials, and each material might have unique cleaning requirements.
To get started, here are some tips that apply to all products:
- Use only a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid abrasive cloths, towels, paper towels, or similar items.
- Avoid excessive wiping, which might cause damage.
- Unplug all external power sources, devices, and cables.
- Keep liquids away from the product unless otherwise noted for specific products.
- Don’t get moisture into any openings.
- Don’t use aerosol sprays, bleaches, or abrasives.
- Don’t spray cleaners directly onto the item.
Precautions When Trying to Remove Stickers From a Laptop
- Never use hard or metal scrapers, as this will damage the laptop cover and leave unwanted scratches.
- Be sure to do a test sample in a small area before applying any product or sticker-removal technique on the whole area of the laptop.
- Avoid scrubbing sponges or scouring pads, as these are abrasive to laptops.
- Be sure to choose the correct method to remove the sticker, as laptops, Macbooks and PCs all differ.
- Check whether stickers are coated or uncoated, and be aware that oil will only lift the edges of waterproof stickers. For non-waterproof stickers, use oil-based elements to remove the whole sticker.
- Avoid baking soda methods and treatments, as these are mildly abrasive to laptops.
- Avoid using liquid and large amounts of water and soap, as electrical devices and water do not mix well and could fry your laptop.
- Avoid applying water, oil, or liquid to any gaps and ports of the laptop.
- Unplug your laptop and close it properly before removing the stickers.
- Avoid any tool or product that will damage the underlying surface of the plastic materials used to make some laptops.
- Avoid Scotch Brite pads and baking soda if you have a laptop with a metal exterior.
- It is advisable to use a damp microfiber cloth when cleaning laptops.
- When using a heat gun or hair dryer, don’t use the heat tool for too long, as heat can damage a laptop. Only focus the heat on a precise spot for a short time.
- If you suffer from skin allergies and irritations, use gloves when applying solvents.
- Avoid pouring any solvent solution onto the laptop surface, as this could seep into gaps, portals, and the screen with damaging effects. Pour it into a cotton ball or rag.
- Avoid using paper towels on laptops, as this is abrasive.
- Be sure to use sticker-removal methods that do not void your laptop warranty.
We hope these easy steps and tips on how to remove stickers from a laptop and other plastic surfaces, gives you the results you want! If any of these techniques don’t work well or if you have tricks of your own, we’d love to hear them.
Want more great ideas and inspiration? Follow us on social, or sign up for our newsletter for amazing deals delivered directly to your inbox.
StickerYou blog posts are written and published by members of the StickerYou team at our headquarters, located in the beautiful city of Toronto, Canada.