Whether used as an accessory for relaxation while soaking in a bathtub or lit to envelop a room in a soothing aroma, candles are the perfect addition to any self-care routine. That’s why crafters have begun learning how to make their own candles, whether for personal use or a business venture.
One of the most crucial aspects of a handcrafted candle is its custom-designed label. How it’s designed and printed can contribute to the appearance of the product and inform about its scent, ingredients, care instructions, and branding.
In this complete guide, we’re teaching you how to craft the perfect label for your candles, including choosing your label’s shape, size, material, design, and more.
Step 1: Choose Your Label Shape and Size
The first decisions you need to make are the shape and size of your candle label. They should work for your intended application and suit your product’s container or packaging. To help you identify the best label shape and size, take measurements of the label area of your container and decide what shape will fit it best.
Once you have this information, you can plot your desired label shape and size on StickerYou’s Sticker Maker to create your own custom candle labels. To choose a shape, simply upload your design or pick art from our collection.
The Sticker Maker will redirect you to the shape selection page where you can choose from popular shapes, such as die-cut, circle/ oval, square/ rectangular, and rounded corners, or browse other sticker shapes.
Once you’ve chosen the shape of your sticker, click “Continue Editing →” on the upper right-hand side of the screen. The sidebar on the next page will provide you with the option of adjusting the width and height measurements of your label.
Step 2: Choose Your Label Material
Stickers can be made of all sorts of materials, from vinyl to BOPP. Which one you should go for will ultimately depend on your intended application and the format you want your stickers printed, whether in die-cut singles, kiss-cut singles, pages, or rolls.
If you want your stickers printed in sheets or cut to size, a good material to choose is high-quality vinyl. Considered weatherproof and resistant to extreme temperatures, you can count on vinyl labels to last even when exposed to heat from a burning candle.
On the other hand, if you’re printing stickers in rolls, you should go for white or clear BOPP. This material is known for its durability and resistance to water, oil, and moisture. They also hold up well to high temperatures.
In the StickerYou Sticker Maker, you can choose your sticker format and material in the “Product Settings” function. Our Sticker Maker will provide you with different material options for each format, allowing you to choose the best one for your candle label.
Step 3: Design Your Labels
Your label’s design serves as the centerpiece of your product, so it’s something that you should think about very carefully. Make sure that your design reflects your branding and communicates your candle’s details and information.
StickerYou’s Sticker Maker makes it easy for you to design your candle labels. We offer a range of art that you can incorporate into your labels. Browse through the selection by selecting “Add Art” in the Sticker Maker and choosing a category.
The Sticker Maker also allows you to upload your own design, which you can whip up using a range of design tools available online.
Here are some of the most accessible tools to help with your label design process:
- Adobe Illustrator: A professional design software that boasts advanced design capabilities, including intricate shapes, custom brushes, precise path editing, etc.
- Procreate: A digital art app where users can draw sticker designs with realistic brushes and a range of customization options.
- Adobe Fresco: A digital painting and drawing app that offers unique features for creating sticker designs, including realistic brushes, a range of colors, and more.
- Clip Studio Paint: A design software with comprehensive design tools you can use to customize professional-grade stickers.
- CorelDRAW: A graphic design software that’s most popular for its vector editing features. It boasts advanced shape editing, color management, and typography options, making it valuable for designing various sticker projects.
- Sketchbook: An intuitive digital art app that offers a seamless drawing experience with various layer options and customizable brushes.
Step 4: Print Your Candle Labels
Once you’re done designing your candle labels and configuring them to shape and size, you can proceed with printing them in your desired format and sticker material.
You can do this yourself with a reliable printer. Just make sure that your printer supports the sticker material or paper you’re going to use. Also, adjust your print settings carefully to achieve your intended shape, size, and configuration.
Alternatively, you can also use a printing service to print your labels. This can be a better option for larger orders or more premium sticker materials.
You can make or upload your candle labels on StickerYou and leave the printing to us — you can even choose express, rush, or standard shipping options depending on how soon you need your labels to arrive at your doorstep!
Step 5: Apply the Label
Finally, it’s time to apply your printed labels to your candles! While this might seem straightforward, there are a couple of key steps you should take to ensure the labels adhere to your candles properly and beautifully.
- Before starting, wash and dry your hands thoroughly to get rid of excess oils that can affect the adhesive.
- Take your container and clean it with a soft cloth.
- Steady your container by placing it between two objects that can hold it while you apply the label.
- Take a label and peel the backing paper off.
- Place the label over the area you’ll be applying it and press down the center of the label against the container.
- Use your fingers to smoothen out the sticker and make sure all edges adhere to the container.
- Grab an old card or other blunt object. Use it to smoothen out the sticker and push air bubbles out.
There you have it!
Your candle label can make or break the appearance and appeal of your product. It’s your customer’s first introduction to your handmade candle, so it should make a good and lasting first impression.
Not to worry, though — creating your labels is easy to do with the right tools and tips. When you’re ready to create custom candle labels, head on over to our Sticker Maker!
There you create not just candle labels but other types of labels like, for example, some amazing custom-made wine labels!
How to Make Candle Labels: FAQs
What kind of paper do you use to make candle labels?
Generally, you can use any type of sticker material for your candle labels. Because candle containers are usually made of glass, aluminum, or metal, any sticker paper will easily adhere to the surface. However, you should consider the durability of the material. Vinyl and BOPP are the best options for candles that see exposure to extreme heat.
What printer is used for candle labels?
Any brand or model of printer can print out your candle labels. But for the best quality and color saturation, we recommend the following:
- Canon 2986C002 PIXMA TS6220
- Epson ET-2850
- Epson EcoTank ET-2720
- Brother VC-500WCR label printer
Can I print my own candle labels?
You can opt to print your own candle labels at home if you only need to print a handful of them and already have a printer for the job. However, it’s also a good idea to have them professionally printed, especially if you’re working with larger orders. Ultimately, consider the following to decide whether you should print your own labels or engage a printing service:
- Cost of ink
- Quality of your printer
- Quality of the label
What is the best label for candles?
The best candle labels are those that use high-quality materials. BOPP and vinyl are preferred over other sticker paper because of their durability and finish. Not only can they ensure your labels last long, but they’ll also make your design pop!